The idea that snakes can be used as a weapon against us is still pretty new, but the ability to use them in this way has been around for millennia.
It’s not a new idea, either.
We’ve all seen pictures of venomous snakes attacking people, animals, or plants with their poisonous venom, and while some might consider it a cute trick, others would argue that the snakes are just as dangerous as other species.
A study from the University of Maryland has found that when it comes out of a vial of snake venom, we are able to tell it’s a venomous species by the colour of its scales.
“Our study indicates that snakes are capable of distinguishing between different species of venom,” lead author Jennifer Stokes, an evolutionary biologist at the University, told ABC News.
“We think that this is due to the way that they filter the toxins they are ingesting.
The colour of their scales indicates which type of venom they are.
As a species, snakes do not use this as a way to detect other snakes, but instead, it serves as a means of distinguishing it from the venomous prey.
That means snakes can tell the difference between the venom of a snake and the venom contained in a vials of vials containing 0% of their venom.””
We found that snakes showed the highest sensitivity to snake venom and the lowest sensitivity to other venomous toxins when tested on a test plate containing 0.2% of the venom,” she said.
That means snakes can tell the difference between the venom of a snake and the venom contained in a vials of vials containing 0% of their venom.
“The VDA is a visual test and, in the case of snakes, it allows them to distinguish between venomous and non-venomous prey,” she added.
In addition to using their eyes to detect the colour, snakes use their mouths to distinguish their prey.
The team tested the animals’ sensitivity to different kinds of toxins in their vials.
They then tested the vials for toxins, such as acetone and benzene, that are normally found in plants.
They found that animals could detect toxins in vials that contained up to a third of their body weight of snake-specific toxin, which is a fairly large amount.
“In general, animals have a very strong sensitivity to a particular toxin, even in the same amount as it is in a human vial,” she explained.
“For example, the rats are very sensitive to the acetone in a single vial.”
However, they are not as sensitive as the animals that are capable, in some cases, of detecting a single toxin.
“Dr. Stokes believes that this means snakes are not particularly dangerous to us.
She said: “They can be deadly and if they are poisonous, they could cause serious harm.””
The main thing that snakes need to be concerned about is if they have a toxin and are ingestable, because that is when they will bite.
“The researchers found that these snakes were able to distinguish snake venom from other types of venom, including those that were contained in plants and animals.”
We know that snakes will eat poisonous animals and if the snake has the toxin that they have ingested, then it will then be easier for them to ingest the poison,” she continued.
So what does that mean for us?
Stokes said the researchers are working to understand how animals use toxins to determine their toxicity.
But, she said:”They do not need to know what toxins are in the snake vials to know that the toxin is poisonous.”
They need to understand that the venom is poisonous.”